Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Pelle Carlberg - In a Nutshell

After reading a post from the waywardpanties about the review of the most recent album, 'In a Nutshell', I had to find some tracks and listen to what the buzz was about. The album's sound is familiar if you are a fan of Belle and Sebastian or The Smiths. At first it comes off simple and catchy. However, listen closer and the lyrics will make you do a double-take. The sardonic, smart and cynical lyrics could have easily been written for the Flight of the Conchords, however, the straight face and the facade of keeping with the ordinary makes the poetry much more impactful. Here are some examples of lyrics:

"I have a friend who's in this Mensa club, he has no trouble to admit.."
“I love the way talk, I love the way you stalk me with your mobile phone,”
"If I couldn't sing, I'd probably make decent money..."

Further, in "I Just Called to Say I Love You", Carlberg takes lyrics from a slew of different pop tunes, throws them into one giant pot of lyrical triteness, and the stew it yields is delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment